– Faulkner JA1, Davis CS, Mendias CL, Brooks SV.
– Address the degree to which being an elite athlete in different sports lessens the known age-related losses in skeletal muscle structure and function
– Strength, power, VO2max, and performance
1. For elite athletes in all sports, as for the general population, age-related muscle atrophy begins at about 50 yrs of age
2. Despite the loss of muscle mass, elite athletes who maintain an active lifestyle age gracefully with few health problems
3. Conversely, those who lapse into inactivity regress toward general population norms for fitness, weight control, and health problems
– Lifelong physical activity does not appear to have any impact on the loss in fiber number
– The loss of fibers can be buffered to some degree by hypertrophy of fibers that remain