1 RESEARCH ARTICLE
Stephenson EJ1, Smiles W, Hawley JA.
– A single bout of either resistance or endurance exercise reduces the prevalence and duration of hyperglycemic excursions in patients with type 2 diabetes, an effect lasting well into the next day.
– The carbohydrate content of a meal and the glycemic index (GI) of the carbohydrate consumed are both major determinants of the postprandial (after you eat) glycemic response
– Diets containing high-GI carbohydrates have been shown to be independent risk factors for type 2 diabetes onset
– In obese insulin-resistant individuals, low-GI diets are effective for inducing both weight loss and improving insulin action and glucose tolerance
– The implementation of physical activity and dietary modifications are effective low-cost treatment options for controlling hyperglycemic episodes in patients with type 2 diabetes