2 RESEARCH ARTICLES
Gorissen SH1, Burd NA, Hamer HM, Gijsen AP, Groen BB, van Loon LJ.
(1) 24 healthy young (21± 1 y) and 25 older (aged 75 ± 1 y) men
(2) Ingested 20 g protein with (Pro+CHO) or without (Pro) 60 g carbohydrate
– Carbohydrate coingestion with protein delays dietary protein digestion and absorption but does not modulate post-feeding)muscle protein accretion in healthy young or older men
Kiskini A1, Hamer HM, Wall BT, Groen BB, de Lange A, Bakker JA, Senden JM, Verdijk LB, van Loon LJ.
INTRODUCTION & AIM
– Compare muscle protein synthetic response following ingestion of a meal-like amount of dietary protein plus carb between healthy young and older men
– 12 young (21±1 yrs) and 12 older (75±1 yrs) men consumed 20g of protein with 40g of carbohydrate
– The use of dietary protein-derived amino acids for muscle protein synthesis is not impaired in healthy older men following intake of protein plus carb