1 RESEARCH ARTICLE
Zebrowska A, Mizia-Stec K, Mizia M, Gąsior Z, Poprzęcki S.
– Evaluate effects of a 3-wk n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFA) supplementation on serum nitric oxide (NO), asymmetric dimethyloarginine (ADMA), ultrasound indices of endothelial function and maximal oxygen uptake of elite cyclists
– 13 cyclists both before and after dietary protocols.
(1) n-3 PUFA 1.3 g twice daily for 3 weeks
(1) Significant differences between pre- and post-intervention baseline NO levels after n-3 PUFA dietary protocol
(2) Higher post-intervention baseline NO level after n-3 PUFA diet compared with placebo
(3) n-3 PUFA increased baseline NO concentration
(4) Positive correlation between baseline post-intervention NO concentration and maximal oxygen uptake
– An increase in NO release in response to n-3 PUFA may play a central role in cardiovascular adaptive mechanisms and enhanced exercise performance in cyclists.