STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACH
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @coachroblowe
LAST CHANCE GYM
· I’ve been in business since 1985. I own a private gym in downtown London.
· The gym has had a number of nicknames. “The Wrecking Yard” has been popular but recently in reference to the Netflix documentary series “Last Chance U” I have been calling it “Last Chance Gym”.
· Why “Last Chance Gym” or “The Wrecking Yard”? Well, many of us are over 60. We are beat up athletes who played hard and now must pay the piper. Our only hope of living our years out in physical, mental and emotional good health are to take care of these 6 physical qualities:
(1) Strength (2) Mobility (3) Balance (4) Flexibility (5) Conditioning (6) Recovery
· They are the foundation of everything we do. And, of course, we must take care of Nutrition and Sleep.
(1) I have been coaching Athletes since 1978 and the Adult Population since 1985.
(2) The 30+ years in this business has qualified me to coach just about every age and type of person who walks through the door. Gym members range in age from 36 to 76. All types of bodies and levels of health. All good folks. Egos are checked at the door.
(3) Gym members have metabolic syndrome, heart issues, diabetes, osteoporosis, menopause, concussions, ALS & multiple surgeries
I have dealt with, I believe, every injury imaginable.
– I also have torn my left ACL, Meniscus in both knees, 7 or 8 left knee Grade 2 MCLs plus 3 more of those on my right knee.
– This past year, after a ski crash I had Hip Reconstruction surgery that collapsed and became infected. The pain made my torn ACL feel like a bruise. That was followed by 2 Hip Replacement surgeries and 6 wks on a penicillin IV resulting in a total of 28 wks on crutches and a wheeled walker and the loss of, what seemed like, all the muscle mass I had. Learning to walk again and train again is/was an interesting process. If I didn’t have the muscle mass, strength and conditioning level I did have prior to the crash I may not be here to write this story.
– Other Injuries: Neck and Shoulders and Concussions too. Don’t remember how many. Ha!
– So, come on down with your injury. In conjunction with your Physio and Doctor we will get you feeling better.
WHAT YOU SHOULD EXPECT FROM ME
(1) I follow a strength coach’s #1 rule, “Do No Harm”.
(2) I will adapt the program to your special needs. However, understand that my expectations are high.
(3) Do what I tell you to do and you will be successful.
WHAT DO I EXPECT FROM YOU?
(1) Work ethic and dedication to take care of your health. We have fun but you need to be dedicated. I’m a coach and all coaches want success.
(2) Age is not an excuse. There is chronological age and there is biological age. How old would you be if you couldn’t count?
(1) Articles are for educational purposes only. Some topics are backed by hundreds of unique scientific papers. Others are not.
(2) Any decisions you make must be done with the advice of a Health Care Provider.
(3) Click on the Red title of the article to go to the publication site. Check in on your area of interest weekly.